Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Why I don’t have a food blog

At a get together a few nights ago, I said that my dream job would be writing a food blog.  (I LOVE these:  Our Best Bites, Taste Buds, Conversations with a Cupcake.)  When I mentioned that we were having cinnamon puffs for Emma’s birthday, Andrea commented that she’d like the recipe.  Since I had some pre-preparation notice, I thought: “I’ll take pictures and post the recipe on the blog.”

Here it is.

Cinnamon Breakfast Puffs

1.  Mix together 1/3 c. butter, 1 egg and 1/2 c. sugar.  Stir in 1/2 c. milk.

Here’s a picture of the batter:

Picture 035

(Food blogs always have pictures of the baking process.  They also have better cameras.)

2.  Mix together 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1 1/2 c. flour and 1/2 tsp. salt.

Picture 036

(Food blogs DO NOT show their 4 year olds helping.  And if they did, their 4 year olds would have matching pajamas on.)

3.  Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and combine thoroughly

4.  Fill greased muffin cups—I use mini-muffin cups because it makes you feel slightly less sick when you eat 5 mini muffins, instead of 2 regular ones.  I think it’s less calories, too.

Picture 037

5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (if you are using a mini muffin tin.  I don’t know about a normal one.  REAL food bloggers would know that, but with Everyday Romneys, you are on your own.)  They should be golden brown when done

Also, real food bloggers would have a picture of golden brown-ness here:

Picture 038

Instead I have a picture of the world’s messiest kitchen.

(Food bloggers always have 1. sparkling kitchens and 2. non-cracked bowls and non-melted spatulas.  They also put away their fry pans from last night’s dinner and do not leave their bowls in the recesses where their soaking gas element used to be.)

6.  Pop the muffins out.  Immediately roll in 8 T. of melted butter (my recipe says 6 but it looks like this: 6T 8T, so you’ll want to go with my fattened flavored up suggestion). 

Picture 039

(I think I have to get nicer nails, if I want a food blog.)

7.  Roll dripping ball in a mixture of 1/2 c. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon.  I think on food blogs, adults take the pictures because when my kids take the pictures you get this:

Picture 040

Right.  A picture of my hands, with no evidence of popover rolling at all.  Let’s try again:

Picture 041

Slightly better.  (Ignore the staining on my plastic, dollar-store bowls).

8.  Serve warm, definitely.

Picture 042

Oh wait.  That picture’s lame.  Let’s try another picture.  Maybe on a blue plate:

Picture 043

What?  Was I stacking blocks?  And the glare from the counter blends with the muffins.  Lame, again.

Maybe I’ll take some of the happy eaters:

Picture 047

(Ew.  That one looks gross.  He obviously ate them, as you can see, but: Yuck.)

Picture 049

(You might be able to see the popover if her bottle wasn’t in the way AND you weren’t distracted by her Baldness-Caused-By-Bow-Rippage).

Oh forget it.  They existed, the kids ate them and loved them. 

Good ahead and try the recipe.  They are really good, even if this blog isn’t. 

No comments:

Post a Comment