Sunday, February 20, 2011

I can't believe my boss said that


By Kaitlin Madden, CareerBuilder Writer
At some point, most of us have probably found ourselves in trouble for something we've said. Whether it was an inappropriately timed joke or sharing just a little too much information, we can all probably recall a time that taught us the hard way to think before we speak.  
Then, there are those other people. The ones who, no matter how many times they embarrass themselves or those around them with off-color comments, or how many of their jokes result in awkward silences, they just can't seem to get it through their heads that people's words should be put through some sort of diplomacy filter before they come flying out of  their mouth.
If you have one of these people as your boss, your workday is probably subject to some pretty interesting commentary. Here, workers with loose-lipped bosses share some of their zingers:
1. "Years ago, I was a commissioned salesperson. My boss said to me, 'It's really hard on my ego that you're making so much money.'" -- Bonnie Harris, Wax Marketing
2. "At my first job out of college, I was at an ad agency, and the day I was laid off, my boss took me out for a drink, which I thought was normal at the time, and then told me he would like me to have his kids. I thought that a bit out of the job description that I had been given." -- Liz Paulk,public relations manager
3. "[My] boss was a French chef; I was working in a restaurant. [He once told us] 'Please punch in with your clothes on.' He meant to say, 'Punch in only after you have changed into your uniform.' I should also say that, as is customary in the restaurant business, this was said during what we call the lineup, a pre-shift meeting where all staff is present and management goes over the plan for the day, big parties VIPs, etc. " -- Deba Wegner, YourRecipeforSuccess.com
4. "I was the director of marketing and public relations for a very popular lingerie company. When I told the CEO that she had lipstick on her teeth before a press event, she asked, or rather told me to wipe it off for her. Um, no. I draw the line there. Sorry." -- Laura Kronen, lifestyle coach, Be You Only Better
5. "My worst ever was, 'You're not worth $8 an hour.'" -- Karen Tiede, principal, Red Tuxedo
6. "My first boss, during a particularly stressful meeting where I was being blamed for stuff that was way above my pay grade and experience -- I was 20 and had just graduated from college -- said to me [while] handing me a box of tissues, 'You know, this job is very stressful. I went into therapy last year because of it and it really helped me.' I replied, 'I don't want a job that is going to put me in therapy!'" -- Siobhan Green, Sonjara Inc.
7. "'I just hired another person for the San Francisco store. She's an older woman like you, you know, post-menopausal!'" -- Barb, principal, Adolph Productions
8. "The worst thing my ex-supervisor ever said was to a female employee who was complaining to him about another male co-worker's unwanted, lewd comments. She said, 'Thatcontractor won't leave me alone. He keeps making lewd comments about me.' The boss responded, 'Well, maybe if you gained some more weight, he would leave you alone.' Huh? That sent ethics and compliance on a mission to fire that supervisor. I think they eventually fired him, since other witnesses heard him make the comment to the woman about her weight." -- Dean Ferraro, real estate agent
9. "My department chairman at the Art Institute, five years younger than me, fired me with the off-hand comment, 'Oh well, Pat, you know that design is a young man's game.' To which I responded, 'Are you firing me because I am over 50? I could sue you for age discrimination.' 'Yes,' she smirked, 'but we all know you don't have money for an attorney.' Unfortunately, she was right. I don't have money for an attorney. Lawsuits are decided in favor of the person who has the money, and the money goes to the attorneys." -- Pat Ruskin*, M.A., M.Des.
10. "My boss can be a handful. He has said a lot of things to me, but here is one I won't forget: 'You are not married and you don't have any children. There is no excuse for you not to put in extra time. I expect you to be in here every Saturday working.' [To]which I replied, 'Great, I'll put on a couple of pots of coffee for everyone [since] none of the men in my department are married or have children either!' I never had to work a Saturday." -- Jenna Gephart*, sales andmarketing manager  

No comments:

Post a Comment