Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Please use #2 pencils.

(In response to some questions about Ryan's post regarding me and nicknames, I thought I would sponsor this little quiz. Don't get nervous (or excited: I'm not giving anything away).)

Directions:

Please answer C for Correct way to use a nickname in Jessica's presence and I for Incorrect way to use a nickname in Jessica's presence.

Questions:

1. While walking through the hall at church, you see me and call out (reverently): "Hey, Jess, does your family want to come over tonight for some dessert?"

2. At Blogapalooza, you call me over and say: "Hey, Laurie, I'd like you to meet my good blog friend, Jess Romney."

3. While making a comment on my blog, you say: "Hang in there, Jess, we love you."

4. After meeting me for two seconds, you say: "It was really good to meet you two seconds ago, Jess."

5. In a conversation with another person, you say: "You know Jess Romney? Well, her blog is just hilarious."

6. While I am downstairs watching The Office, and Seth is climbing on the counters getting into the sprinkles, you call: "Jess, I need you! Quick!"

Answers:

1. Correct! If we are friends and you are passing me and think of inviting me over to share your chocolate cake with lots of frosting (which is my favorite) and you quickly shout out a shortening of my name, I think that's perfectly fine and endearing...even if you aren't offering me Sunday dessert.

2. Incorrect! If you are introducing me to someone, my name is not Jess. It is Jessica.

3. Correct! If we are good friends (or sisters in law) and you are feeling bad for me because I keep whining about my morning sickness, and you make me feel all loved and cozy by using a diminutive of my name, then you are correctly using the nickname.

4. Incorrect! If we've hardly known each other at all, let's not immediately revert to nicknames, mmkay?

5. Incorrect! While I appreciate the compliment on my blog, when talking about me to others, I like to be known by my full name.

6. Correct! If you are in a big hurry, by all means, shorten away.

I hope this clears up any nickname confusion. Do you have any nickname rules, for yourself or your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment