Monday, October 8, 2007

Here's a happy one for you!

So, yesterday (oh, such fond memories) was part II of the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, where all of our leaders, great men and women, speak to us. I was inspired and moved by many of the them (Elder Wirthlin's total exemplification of his topic of Charity, Sis. Beck's reaffirming and reminding "Women Who Know", Oakes totally-for-me "Good, Better, Best") but the one that I'm focusing on today is Elder Eyring's talk. He spoke about how he has spent every day journaling a few lines, recording how he saw God's Hand in his life that day. He reminded us that as we watch for Him, we will see Him more. We will be more grateful, more humbled, more able to teach our children that He knows and loves us.

So...I'm in: With all the mess of the last few days...here are some ways I've seen God's hand in my life.

1. Our van was found.

2. We had friends who whisked our kids away, so we could concentrate, and then had a yummy lunch all ready for us when we finished the police business.

3. Tammy and the new purse: brightening my day and teaching me how to "comfort those who stand in need of comfort." Mosiah 18:9

4. A sweet "family special time" where we discussed what had happened, why and what we learn from it. Gabe said, "I thought that even if we couldn't find our car and couldn't go anywhere because our car only has 5 seats, we could walk to church instead and still be a family." It was a great opportunity to teach and testify that we are known and loved of Heavenly Father.

5. Being reminded again what an unselfish oldest child we have.

6. Waking up happy, instead of bummed out.

7. AND LISTEN TO THIS: when Emma was walking out the door to school this morning, she looked down at the newspaper lying there and said, "Mom!" Tucked into the sleeve of the newspaper, was my license! So much easier to get through this stuff with photo ID and so much less of a worry that people are cashing my checks and getting into over 21 dance clubs with my license.

It is completly naive to think that we can avoid bad things just by trying really hard to do what is right. This life is a time to learn and grow and sometimes we can only grow as we have challenges placed in front of us. There are way worse stuff that could have happened...I'm grateful that God gives us what we can handle. I have seen His Hand in my life this weekend and many times before.

No comments:

Post a Comment