Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sunday Summary

Stuff that happened this week:

Yearly Meaningful Ornaments on the Too-Small-Tree Tradition
In Ryan's family, they had a special tree. Each year they would add one ornament that represented the biggest thing that happened that year. We have continued that tradition and did it for FHE this week. This year's ornament was a big, beaded State of Texas representing our cruise (we left from Texas, sailed with all southerners and spent a few days visiting San Antonio). Really meaningful. (Usually it's a baby, or a move, or--for the first kid, but none of the others--first day of kindergarten, but thankfully this year was pretty quiet).
Ryan ditched me for an entire week.
He had a conference in San Jose and continued to work until the wee hours of the morning, while there. He assures me he is now done, but I don't believe him. I know some of you have husbands who leave a lot more, for a lot longer. My deepest condolences. I barely survived: I started crying when I got in the shower on Monday morning, after he had left and realized the hot water heater was not working. I'm NOT the kind of girl that fixes her hot water heater. Luckily, I have a neighbor who is. We had hot showers all week and Ryan got home on Friday. All is right with the world.

The Creche display.


We drove up to a stake center in the South part of Spokane and saw approximately 2000 nativities. It was very well done, the kids were enthralled (truly!), and we were glad we went. Seth, of course, found EVERY SINGLE nativity animal in the children's area and lined them all up on the nearest table:


The Rowell's Christmas party
Our next door neighbor hosted a fabulous party, where we all fought over some AWESOME ornaments and ate tons of food. We thought our ornament would outshine them all (an effigy of Homer Simpson tenderly embracing a can of "Duffs" beer larger than he was). To our chagrin, we were out-"classed" by our friends who found an overweight, buck-toothed, ethnically diverse showgirl complete with fishnets and a torn sequin dress. And then we got it stolen from us. Bummer.
We also played our famous "Name Game", except everyone left before the Charades round (our favorite) and so I proceeded to do my own charades of Elvis, Dwight Shrute and Shakira--Ryan guessed every one. I'm that good.
Baking Day
What better way to celebrate the birth of Savior than with 2 bags of sugar? Seriously. And 5 pounds of butter. We all totally felt the Spirit after sampling all day till we felt sick and squabbling over which of us had to go to the store to pick up more ribbon.

Okay, really, this is one of my favorite traditions and we had lots of help from the kids and enjoyed giving them to friends and neighbors. (The first paragraph was my sugar-hangover talking.)
I'm boring today. Maybe your comments can liven things up?

No comments:

Post a Comment