Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sunday Summary

Did anyone else have a week that had so much stuff in it, you could have easily spread it out into 3 weeks and still have been busy? Well, that's the kind of week we had. Sorry you have to read about it.

Monday
The highlight of Monday was Ryan saying these magic words, "Why don't we just go out to dinner because it will be easier than trying to fit it in at home." He almost never says them and it was the best thing of the whole day. Except he forgot to order my balsamic vinaigrette salad, but I bullied the waitress into bringing it anyway. I really like Mojo's vinaigrette, alright? And it was Monday, so I was pretending I was going to stay on my diet all week so I really needed my salad.


Tuesday
This day, Ryan said the un-magic words, "I'm sorry, when I said I thought I was done working my head off, I lied and I am going out of town again for a week. Starting tomorrow." But then I bullied his boss (I'm pretty intimidating) into letting him come home for the weekend.

Also Emma's grade put on their Christmas music program (it was darling) and she got to play the drummish thingie. She was totally grooving...really:
(Gabe took this picture, which explains the excellent lighting, but I'm WAY too embarrassed to get that close up. Luckily Gabe loves that I send him to be the photographer.)
Wednesday
I actually worked on my Christmas cards. It was a momentous occasion.

Thursday
It now begins to blur into too-much-to-do-no-father-around-trying-not-to-kill-the-kids here. I did get to attend another ward's Enrichment (where I sang "Little Lamb"--watch for another appearance--with a friend) and got to hear the Daines speak on having CHRISTmas instead of a christMESS. No comment on what I'm having.


Friday
Ryan's plane was of course malfunctioning and so he said he wouldn't be home in time for the ward Christmas party. The state of our family was evidenced by Seth's lack of hair-combing or shoes, Jane purple socks and red strappy shoes, and Emma's dirty shirt. She and I sang, again, "Little Lamb" and she did SO well...it's a high song, and I sang harmony and she sounded great. Not that you could hear us, as the ward seemed to think it was background music, instead of an actual program and talked through the entire thing. (My mom-in-law asked, "Isn't that how it always is with Christmas programs?" And she's kind of right.) But the best part was when Ryan walked in just as our accompanist started and got to hear the whole thing (and he looked so cute!)...it couldn't have been better if it had been a movie.

Saturday
This was the best day. Our primary president (who has un-ending ideas and the energy to pull them off) organized the Primary Activity at a women's shelter. The ward provides Christmas gifts for all the families there, the children earn money for and provide toiletry items. When we get there (Senior Primary only), the kids get a buddy and go through each of the craft areas with them and we end with a musical number. I told my kids last week, that if Jesus was to pick a way to celebrate his birthday, of all the things we do all month...I think he'd pick that activity. It was neat and Emma and Gabe were sweet with their buddies and the Spirit is always there testifying that He loves each of his children.

(Kids with buddies at the shelter)

In the evening, we got to do a family baptism session at the temple with our newest temple-aged nephew (Austin). We were baptized and confirmed for 119 of Ryan's mom's ancestors and then had a chance to talk in the baptistry and share our testimonies of the temple. It was made all the more special because Friday was Ryan's parents 40th anniversary and previous to the baptisms, they were sealed for her parents and grandparents. (Ryan's siblings are doing a 40-day blog to celebrate. If you are related, or want to hear some pretty funny stories about Ryan's childhood: go here. I know he's my husband, but I was dying.)

(Ryan's parents as newlyweds and 40 years later. CONGRATS!)
Saturday made the whole crazy crazy week worthwhile and really helped us remember why we do all the things we do.


Sunday
Jane told us today, "I lost my purse! Now I'm not having the best day of my life anymore." We found it, though, later and she said it was the best day again. Pretty easy to please, eh?


We love our kids, we love our extended family and we love the Savior and celebrating his birth! We hope you have the best day of your whole life one day this week, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment