Thursday, January 17, 2008

Deaf and Dumb

(See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil...)

So Ryan met us for lunch the other day. Knowing we had an eye check-up for Emma later that day, he said: "Hey, remember to find out if her eyes have gotten worse."

I reply, (slightly bugged): "Um, of course I will" thinking: what did he think check-up meant anyway?

He says: "Well, it's just that sometimes I ask you things after doctor's visits and you didn't remember to ask seemingly simple questions."

I say: "We better stop talking about this now, because that last statement really made me mad."

I continue on with my day (which was hideous, but you have the same days and you don't need to be exhausted by mine, do you?). We make it to the optometrist. Emma goes in, I supervise kids, Emma and the doctor come out.

The doctor begins to explain to me that her eyes have gotten worse, blah, blah, blah. I begin to realize I'm having a hard time focusing. And I'm really trying because Mr. Third Degree is waiting at home.

And then I realize what the problem is.

Seth is trying on all the fragile eyeglasses all over the office and not putting them back. Jane is behind the optician's desk opening drawers. Gabe is asking me how to spell a word for his homework. Emma is spazzing out all over the room because the dilation drops feel weird in her eyes. Our coats, backpacks and waiting room toys are strewn all over this nice office. There are about 6 other people watching me and my unruly kids in a tiny little space.

How in the HECK am I supposed to ask this man intelligent, forward thinking questions and understand his medical terminology answers??

So on the way home, I call Ryan to tell her that her eyes have gotten worse, what the prescription is, what her vision is, that we decided not to do contacts, when the glasses will come in, how much they cost. And I'm feeling pretty proud of myself, because AGAINST ALL ODDS, I have been thorough.

Ryan asks: "So what does this mean, long term, for her eyes?"

**cue crickets chirping**

Just give me the F for Listening right now. In fact, I'm putting myself on the "not-listening chair". It's quiet in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment