Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year, New Colors, New Resolutions

As fresh as the blue on this page, that's how I felt this morning when I woke up! (When you are done gagging, come back and finish reading...ready?)

So I married a guy who LOVES to make goals and New Years is the highlight of his life. It's probably why he's so accomplished and good and easy to be married to; he sees the value in self-assessment, writing down his ideas for change and putting in the hard work to see those changes through.

I, however, get a sick feeling in my stomach when he brings them up. No exaggeration. I seriously feel ill--my heart beats faster, I get crabby and stressed at the thought of adding my "probable failure" into my life.

Because, come on...when do we ever do a Resolution all the way?

BUT, I talk myself down, knowing that trying and getting just a little bit better, is better than not trying at all. And most years, I set a few and feel better once I've done it.

So today, I was ready. The big kids went back to school, the house got cleaned and purged of all Christmas decor and mess and my body, sick from the constant drip of sugar I'd given it for a month (with the weight gain to back it up), was ready for a change. As was my too-much-computer-too-little-scripture-reading-and-quality-kid-time soul.

But I need some help.

I am someone who appreciates authority as I look for ideas on how to improve and so I need your ideas, your articles, your books so that I can get to work on the following (certainly not inclusive--some things are actually too private for the blog) Resolution list:

1. I need to strengthen my relationship with my oldest daughter. (Without too much embarrassing elaboration, let's just say that her similarity to myself causes much friction...totally my fault and I need to make it better.)

2. I need to lose weight by eating better. (I need ideas on how to "Make the Connection"--should I just read that book? or do you have better ones?)

3. I need to feel the Spirit more regularly throughout the day. (I do pretty good at designated "feel the Spirit times" such as scriptures, prayers, meetings, music...but I want to learn how to tone down the business and the noise and feel it's whisperings more often in my daily life.)

4. I want to see the needs of those around me better, know how to fill them--but balance it with the needs of my family. (Could that be a taller order??)

I only wish I could do this all 100%, but I need to focus on whatever positive changes come out of this list, right?

Wish me luck...and give me something concrete to go on! (email anything too long or too private to jessicaromney@hotmail.com) ...Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment