Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How to like your kids more


A few years ago, I was struggling with patience. (Good thing I got that licked.) I was losing it with my kids way too much and trying to figure out how to fix it. One night, as I was praying for help, this idea came to my mind:
I needed to put my kids on my list. (You'll remember my post about my list-making? Well, Heavenly Father knew about my list-making, too, and He knew that that would be the best way for me to focus on my kids better).
And so I did. I wrote on my list:
  • 15 minutes with Emma
  • 15 minutes with Gabe
  • 15 minutes with Jane

(There was no Seth yet.)

I determined to spend 15 minutes a day with each of them, alone, interacting and focusing only on them. It sounds like a piddly amount, but the mothers out there know how hard it is to find that kind of time. Which is exactly why I needed to do it.

And I started liking them a little bit more. And being more patient.

Of course, like everybody (I hope), I let it slide. And then I start being more frustrated with my kids and wondering what the problem is. So I start praying again for help. And He tells me again:

"Hey remember the answer I gave you a few years ago. Still the same answer."

Starting last September, I've recommitted to it (due to another prayer like the one above). It has been the biggest blessing. Because I SOO like to check things off my list, I have found myself searching more for opportunities to spend time with each kid. There have been so many neat conversations and simply joyful interactions that I wouldn't have had, if I hadn't been trying to get my "10 min w/E".

Here are some things I do with them:

  • Read scriptures 10 minutes in the morning (I switch off with Emma and Gabe, every other day)

  • Read books of their choice

  • Just lay on their bed and talk

  • Help them finish a job and talk

  • Ask one to help me make dinner

  • Grab one to go to the store with me, if Ryan's home

  • Sit on the floor and play with Seth's animal collection

  • Sit on the floor and just watch Seth play with ANYTHING

  • Color

  • Build train tracks

  • Play a game (Jane and Gabe are my game-players)

  • Go for a walk

I DO NOT DO THIS EVERY DAY. I promise. But the days and weeks I do, I love them more. I want to be more patient and present, because I know them better. They are more content and happy because I've given them some Mommy time.


Remind me of this, please, the next time I post needing some advice about how to handle all these kids. I seem to have a tendency to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment