Monday, February 25, 2008

Open Comments, Insert Foot

Whoops. Made a "Comment Boo-boo" last night. A fabulous relative of mine had a funny blog about her kids and I made a comment joking about their intelligence.

In case you were wondering: I don't think her kids are in any way lacking in brain-power. Quite the opposite. Which she, of course, knew.

Apparently, she had friends and relatives who were not "getting" me and, after a flurry of emails/texts, she deleted the comment. I quickly made a public apology in her comments and vowed to watch my sarcastic-ness in the future.

I have to admit, I paused a minute before I pushed the GO button in the comments section. But I figured she (and anyone else) would know it was a joke and that I would never insult her children in public--or private. They're darling and sweet and funny and, yep, smart.

It's so hard to know.

In January, I posted a snarky, hopefully funny, comment on Paige's blog. And then completely stressed out about it for the next day. I read it to Ryan and he said, "oh, I don't know...it was a little harsh." So then I stressed more and apologized profusely, deleted the comment and worried she would be bugged at me at our upcoming weekend in California. Like it was 8th grade again.

Paige's reaction: "Are you kidding? I thought it was funny. In fact, I thought 'Wow, Jessica knows me well.' You could never offend me."

It's so hard in the world of black and white words...with no inflection, or eye contact, or a good-natured nudge-to-the-side to know if people understand what you mean as you type. My relative did, because we lived near each other and she knows who I am. Paige got it, for the same reason (plus she's also the Queen of Snarky)...but what about all the other people that I expose myself to, every day, in (let's be honest) way too lurid detail.

Do I sacrifice funny for safe? What is my measuring stick? Do you ever wonder if there's a whole multitude of readers that just don't get you? Yikes.

I'm nice. I promise. (Said with soulful, sincere eyes and a genuine smile, body language in every way reflecting honesty).

No comments:

Post a Comment