Monday, February 4, 2008

In basketball, this would be called an AAIIR-ball.

I come from a family of sports-watchers. I have lovely memories of laying on the floor of our Fresno, CA rancher and cheering my little heart out for the Celtics, of sitting on my parents bed in Tracy, CA as my dad told me step by step why Tiger Woods' win was so amazing, of the golden years of the 49ers when our Mormon boy was leading the charge. Oh, and don't even get me started about the holy event that was the Olympics. Cancel all activities...the entire Sherrill family was busy for 3 weeks every 4 years.

That's why the following comment had me shaking my head in disbelief:

In response to a reference I made to Ryan about yesterday's cool Super Bowl, Emma said, "What's a Super Bowl?"

(bad enough, I realize, but just hang on...)

Gabe replied: "It's like the World Legends, except with football."


Now, I'm assuming he meant World Series. But for the oldest boy in my house to NOT HAVE ANY IDEA what the correct name of that major sports event was...well, it's a little embarrassing.

My husband is one of the most physically fit men I know. He runs, bikes, swims, plays sports any chance he gets and he includes our kids in all of these activities. Just don't ask him to watch any of these things on TV. The sound of the cheering plus the time-not-spent-being-productive...he just can't do it. Add in a "No TV on Sunday" rule and you get kids who don't know what the Super Bowl or the World Legend is.

Nate, Matt, Grandpa? You have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment