Monday, February 18, 2008

MONSTER JAM

Everything is bigger at Monster Jam.

Big Idea:
George (my brother-in-law's brother-in-law) came up with the idea of taking the boys out for some wicked thrills. So George, Kevin (my brother-in-law) and I got tickets for us and our sons. (Seth was unwittingly omitted from the fun so that it might actually be fun).

Big Disappointment:
My 12-year-old nephew Austin lost the privilege of attending Monster Jam (MJ) due to an "energy draining" (see Love and Logic for definition) fight that he had with his brother. So his seat was passed onto his sister Mallory who did her best to fit in with the all male crew by sporting pink camo's.



Big Questions:
On the way over to meet up with everyone, Gabe had some intriguing questions that required deep thought, "Dad ... would you rather be able to 1.) control the weather, 2.) have a BB gun (thoughtful pause) that you can take anywhere you want, or 3.) be able to turn into anyone or anything?" I was a little suprised that owning a BB gun ranked up there with X-men/Heroes powers. I guess a seven year old doesn't realize that if you had either of the other powers, you could probably procure a BB gun as well.

Big Noise:
Having never been to a MJ before, I wasn't prepared for the amount of noise these trucks could make. I got worried when we sat down behind these two 10-year-olds who obviously knew their way around monster trucks a lot better than I did.


This is how Gabe and I enjoyed MJ.


Big Tricks:
Our favorite part of MJ were the big tricks. We loved the Evel Knievel stunts.


Big-Time Patriotism:
As we walked into the arena, the booming anouncer voice bellowed ... "Do you love America?" "Well, yeah" I thought to myself "I do."
(Booming Announcer Voice) "Lets hear it for the men and women of our Emergency Services!"
(**Crowd cheers wildly**)
(Booming Announcer Voice) "Lets hear it for the men and women of the Fire Department!"
(**Crowd cheers wildly**)
(Booming Announcer Voice) "Lets hear it for the men and women of the Police Department!"
(**Crowd cheers wildly**)
(Booming Announcer Voice) "Lets hear it for the men and women of the Armed Services!"
(**Crowd cheers wildly**)
(Booming Announcer Voice) "Lets hear it for the men and women of the ARMY!"
(**Crowd cheers wildly**)
(Booming Announcer Voice) "Lets hear it for the men and women of the NAVY!"
(**Crowd cheers wildly**)
(Booming Announcer Voice) "Lets hear it for the men and women of the AIR FORCE!"
(**Crowd cheers wildly**)
(Low Manly Announcer Voice) "Lets hear it for the men and women of the MARINES!"
(**Crowd cheers wildly**)

Honestly, I am grateful for all these public servants, but about halfway through our armed services I was feeling guilty because I couldn't muster any more enthusiasm. Sorry Marine dudes ... I just got tired. I guess that is why I am an engineer and not a Marine.


(Here are "The Patriot" and "Captain USA" making serious tracks around the arena - Note how even the smash-em-up cars are spray painted Red, White and Blue)
Big Ending:
Okay, there is none. I've lost all typing enthusiasm, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment